It was prime construction season, and PennDOT had contracts out. Fifty to 75 archaeologists worked 10-hour days, six days a week, for four months carefully unearthing remains — row after row of Swiss and German congregants buried in 727 graves from 1833 to 1861.
The remains and artifacts were reburied under one marker in a 2003 ceremony in Troy Hill’s Voegtly Evangelical Cemetery. In the years before that, the Smithsonian Institution did an analysis of the bones for PennDOT.
— Read on www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2013/08/19/Lost-Pittsburgh-cemetery-lives-on-in-memories/stories/201308190105